June 16, 2010

Lemon Dill White-Bean Hummus




You know, I really enjoy raw cooking. Because if you mess something up, it usually doesn't matter too much. Whether it's a smoothie or peanut butter balls, I know I have room to have fun.

Such is the case with this lemon dill hummus. We get a ton of dill from the CSA every year, so when I saw this recipe on Rebecca's blog, I was excited. My mom often uses lemon juice and dill as a seasoning for salmon so I knew my family would enjoy the combination.

My brother's current interest being film, he has started a series called "Dangerous Neighborhood". It's fun, and we've made quite a few episodes so far. So when Meghan and her brother K came over, the boys and my sister made the film while we made the hummus. They thought the hummus was "poison". :)

The hummus was a success! My parents enjoyed it and so did all us kids. It has a strong flavor, something which I think is often missing from homemade hummus. Dill, garlic, and lemon were the main flavors and were they delicious! We drastically reduced the amount of tahini used, because we aren't huge fans of it. I thought it was just right for us, but if you like tahini, by all means use more.

It's quick, easy, only uses one dish and makes a great snack or appetizer. Absolutely wonderful! It will become a regular in our house.

Lemon Dill Hummus
Note: We made a bunch of changes. The original recipe called for wasabi powder, which we did not have. We added the olive oil. The way we made it is italics.

1 can of Eden organic chickpeas or small white beans, rinsed and lightly drained
2 tablespoons lemon juice or juice of one organic lemon
1-2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1/4 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon sesame tahini
a healthy drizzle of olive oil
one quite large handful of dill from your garden, rinsed, patted dry, and coarsely chopped.

Combine all ingredients in your food processor and blend until you have a nice consistency for spreading onto flatbreads or dipping vegetables or corn chips. We had a bunch of whole beans left in ours, but that didn't bother anyone.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Meghan said...

I'm going to try making it with chickpeas and see what that does to the taste. I just love experimenting!

Erin said...

I know, I can't wait to try it out again, and play with the ingredients. If you try it with chickpeas, check back and let me know how it goes! :)