May 1, 2010

Peanut-Butter Balls

Apologies for the lack of pictures. My computer for some reason is not cooperating, so that I can't upload pictures. But I'll figure out the problem and get the pictures up as soon as possible.

Peanut butter balls have a long history in my family. When I was about three, my mom found the recipe on the back of a cereal box, tried it, and the product was an instant hit. They were brought along on picnics, eaten for dessert and snack, and the recipe has been shared with many friends (I haven't met a single person who hasn't liked them). Now, whenever my brother or I are looking for a snack, my mom always says: "Make peanut-butter balls!"
Peanut butter balls, in case you are wondering, are a mixture of peanut butter, honey, cinnamon, vanilla extract, cereal, and possibly nuts shaped into balls. A few years ago, we started rolling the balls in shredded coconut to eliminate sticky fingers.
The type of cereal you use doesn't matter. You can use rice crispies, or you could use corn flakes. Right now, I use crushed Weetabix. If you decide to use nuts, I would recommend walnuts.
Most importantly, peanut butter balls are so easy and take only about ten minutes to make. As you will see below, they're as easy as 1-2-3! (excuse the cliche.)

Peanut-Butter Balls


  • 2 cups creamy peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup honey (more or less if you like)
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3-5 cups crushed Weetabix (enough to make the mixture stiff enough to form balls)
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
  • 1 cup shredded coconut (optional)

  1. Mix together all ingredients except coconut.
  2. Shape the mixture into balls, dipping your hands first in a small bowl of cold water to help the peanut-butter mixture hold together.
  3. Roll the balls in shredded coconut, if desired.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Oh yum yum. These are really good. Loose granola also works but Weetabix is the best, I think.

Are you sure the honey measurement is correct? I thought it was 3/4 cup. But I could be wrong.

Thanks for the recipe! Now I just have to go convince my mom that we should buy Weetabix...

Meghan said...

Well, I usually use about 1/2 cup, but some people like less. I put on the recipe that you can adjust the honey to taste.